top of page


Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), eligible students are afforded certain rights pertaining to school records and personally identifiable information on file with the institution. An eligible student is defined as any person who is currently enrolled or has been enrolled in the institution’s program. It is the policy of the institution to treat all student information, both personal and academic, as strictly confidential.

Students may request access to their academic records from the Academic Registrar. Student information is not available to any outside party unless the student requests, by written authorization, the records to be shared. This written consent must include:

  • the purpose of the disclosure

  • the records that may be disclosed

  • the party or class of parties to whom the disclosure may be made

  • a signature and date

Student Identity Verification Policy

Student Identity Verification Policy

The application packet requires students to submit a government-issued photo ID (e.g., driver’s license or passport).

For senior exams, students fill out a Graduate Exam Declaration Form which includes their name and driver’s license (or similar). Exams are proctored and you are required to show the proctor a government-issued photo ID.

Student Grievance Policy

Student Grievance Policy


When student grievances arise, students should first contact the persons directly involved in order to seek a solution.


Any grievances should be handled in a professional manner. Direct and responsible communication with the faculty and staff is expected. If a satisfactory solution cannot be reached, students may then contact the Distance Education Dean.

If a satisfactory solution is not reached at this level, the student may appeal in writing to the President of HBIU.

If the student is still not satisfied that his or her grievance is handled satisfactorily he or she may contact the grievance department.  


HBIU Transfer of Credits Policy

Consideration for transfer credits is program specific. Courses must have been taken within a seven-year period of time from the date of submission and submitted within one year of beginning courses.  Students must provide a transcript from an accredited university, a course syllabus, and, if possible, any coursework that was submitted to the original faculty. 


Each course being considered must meet or exceed the outcomes assessments for the requested for life experience credit

HBIU students may request transfer credits as follows:

  • Master’s in Consciousness Studies – maximum of 6 credits (up to HCU  courses)

  • Certificate in Spiritual Education – maximum of 3 credits (1 HCU course)

Students must submit a completed Transfer Credit Request form with all supporting documentation and payment of $150 evaluation fee for all courses submitted on that Transfer Credit Request form. In addition, there will be a $75 fee for every 3 credits approved for transfer.

bottom of page